Friday, December 12, 2008

Rotini Primavera

This is another of my "old" recipes. I invented it because I was dating a vegeterian at the time, and I needed lots of tasty vegeterian recipes with which to impress her. Ultimately I managed to convince her to start eating meat (and to marry me).

-----

Rotini Primavera

8 oz. (1/2 pkg.) dry vegetable rotini pasta
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C. chopped onion
1 medium zuccini, sliced
1 C. fresh broccoli tops
1/2 C. frozen English peas
1/2 C. chopped carrots
1/2 C. frozen sweet corn kernels
2 T. parsley
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
1 t. sweet basil

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook until tender.

While pasta is boiling, heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet and add the garlic and onion. Cook until garlic is browned, then add remaining ingredients (and salt and pepper to taste). Stir well, then cover and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes or until broccoli is almost tender. Remove vegetables from skillet, set burner to LOW.

Garlic butter sauce:

1/2 C. milk
1/2 C. white wine
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. melted butter
1 T. cream cheese
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 C. grated Parmesian cheese

Wisk the milk, white wine, and cornstarch together, and pour into the hot skillet. Stir quickly with a wire wisk until a smooth, thick sauce forms. Stir in the butter, cream cheese, garlic, pepper, and Parmesian. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a smooth sauce forms (if the mixture becomes too thick, add a little more milk.)

Toss pasta, vegetables, and garlic butter sauce together in a large glass bowl, serve immediately with hot bread and a glass of white wine...I recommend Pinot Grigo.

-----

VARIATIONS:
This vegetarian dish can be made vegan (and non-dairy) by skipping the garlic butter sauce and using your favorite herb-flavored olive oil instead.
Likewise, adding a grilled breast of chicken can make an excellent dish for the rest of us...in which case, I recommend Chardonnay.

No comments: